Are you tired of paying overweight baggage fees? This post is for you!
I just came back from a trip, and for the first time ever, I packed light. I had no problems with overweight or clothes I didn’t wear. And to make that happen, you just have to follow these tips:
- don’t overthink or over-plan packing: one of the worst things you can do is overthink about weather conditions, or things that may hypothetically happen in your trip. Be straightforward. Pack the things that first come to your mind. Making a list could help too, to make sure you don’t forget anything. It will also help you realize if you are overpacking or over-stressing.
- pack with a friend: packing with someone else by your side will definitely keep you from adding kilos to your luggage. I did that on my recent trip and it really worked. Whenever I tried going off tracks, my friend would remind me how many days I’d be gone and what was actually essential.
- get rid of heavy things: now this may be hard if you are traveling to a cold place. But trust me, there is always an alternative. When it comes shoes for example. How many pair of shoes will you actually need for a trip? In winter, you’ll need boots and that’s all you’ll be wearing (don’t overthink it). For summer, that’s easier. Sandals and flats are lighter and don’t take too much space in your bag.
- pick your outfits ahead of time: this is the most important thing for me. You’ll be able to figure out if you will actually wear what you are putting in your suitcase. Don’t think about taking that shirt you haven’t worn in the past three years! Also, planning your outfits will help you getting ready faster on your trip. You won’t need to think about what goes with what.
- don’t pack more than a week’s worth of clothes: trust me on this, you won’t be wearing different clothes throughout you whole trip. You will repeat outfits and that’s completely fine. You could also pack simple key clothes that you will be able to mix and match. Black and white shirts with denim are always a good option. You can make very different looks out of them.